Thursday, August 21, 2008

Design One: The Watcher - The Watched



This design is derived from the concept of watching and being watched in return. It shows the nature of how humanity and we as individuals within society view the world, each other and ourselves. I did the sketch up model first and was disappointed with the ‘heaviness’ of the structure…but felt it could have potential.



I used the ground as a means of ‘crossing’ to another state of mind, preparing to reflect on yourself in the tower. The divided rooms are a whole, each individual space is part of a larger whole structure – representing individuals within society. While I wanted the occupant to be fenced in, so to speak, I also wanted the occupant to look out beyond their limited frame – watching life as life watches him. I like the idea of segmentation and really tried to emphasize it with thick dividing walls…not sure it turned out the way I envisioned.


A home – not house – should be a space that encapsulates an individuals (a society’s) general personality and encourages the occupant to feel safe and secure and give them a place ‘to belong’. A home also shows society (everyone else) what you want them to see – power, wealth, family. Sometimes it can show what you don’t want ‘the others’ to see – poverty, sloth. This home shows that the occupant – you and me – are not always united as individuals, but that as a society, humanity is a whole and we all strive for acceptance from each other and have the desire to be a part of the group.


I made the model pretty much the same as the sketch up design, I thinned the walls and pulled the fence down – I felt it was a bit too gaol like. This seemed to take away that ‘heaviness’ in the digital model. I altered the roof structure, as in sketch up it wasn’t really doing anything. I hadn’t yet worked out where this ‘mirror’ was going to be and so I used the internal tower as a means to access the mirror rather than having the mirror in an actual space. The roof has a kind of pond which serves as a reflective surface and therefore an area to reflect.

No comments: